How Often Should I Feed My Dog?
Lisa Peterson, a Spokesperson for the American Kennel Club, advises the following feeding schedules based on your dog’s life stage.
- Puppies Young pups should be fed 3-4 small meals daily, or preferably, they should eat every couple of hours. “Remember that if they were with their mother, they’d have access to her milk all day long,” she explains, adding that pups also have small stomachs, which cannot hold a lot of food at one time, hence the tiny, multiple portions. Additionally, puppies need to eat frequently to keep their blood sugar in balance.
- Dogs, Six Months to a Year Peterson says that when puppies reach six months, they should be fed around two times daily. When you feed is up to you, but she suggests treating them as a member of your own family. “I like to feed my dogs at breakfast and dinner time, so they feel like they’re eating with us,” she says.
- Dogs, a Year and Older Adult dogs should be fed once or twice daily. You could even feed your dog more often, so long as the daily portion remains the same. For example, if your dog should consume 1 cup of food each day, but you’d like to feed it three times daily, serve three meals consisting of about 1/3 cup. Peterson says it’s also essential to consider treat consumption. “This is especially true if you’re trying to cut back on your dog’s calories,” she says. “Always keep in mind the calorie and nutritional content of treats that you feed your dog, and calculate these into the daily total.”
How Much Should I Feed My Dog a Day?
Refer to your dog food of choice for recommended daily portions since these depend on multiple factors, such as breed, weight, and activity level.
What Times Should You Feed Your Dog?
- Puppies Young pups should be fed small meals every couple of hours. Puppies have small stomachs, which cannot hold a lot of food at one time, hence the tiny, multiple portions.
- Dogs, Six Months to a Year When puppies reach the age of six months, they should be fed around twice a day, breakfast and dinner.
- Dogs, a Year and Older Adult dogs should be fed once or twice daily. You could even feed your dog more often, so long as the daily portion remains the same. Make sure to include any treats into your dog’s daily calorie intake.