Why You Should Adopt a Senior Dog
By Dorian Wagner for The Dog Daily
Looking to adopt a dog? Here are five reasons why you should give a senior dog a second look!
1. Senior dogs have already learned their lessons. Their destructive shoe-chewing and furniture-gnawing days are behind them.
2. They love to relax. Since they are past the hyper puppy phase of their lives, older dogs love napping and resting, giving you peaceful cuddling time to look forward to together.
3. Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks? Senior dogs are just as smart, and they’re usually more attentive and patient than young puppies.
4. They know when to take care of business. Older dogs have already learned to “go” outside, saving you from the teaching process.
5. Senior dogs have a lot of love to give. Sure, you may not have as much time together. But imagine the joy you can share and adoration they’ll have because you gave them a second chance at life!
Senior dogs are often overlooked in shelters, as people tend to set their sights on small, cute puppies. But puppies aren’t puppies forever, so why not choose the wise, older dog in the next kennel instead? He just may be your new best friend.
Dorian Wagner is the founder of YourDailyCute.com. "Rescued" is her favorite dog breed. Dorian's articles have previously appeared in The Dog Daily.