I've read that antifreeze is so poisonous to dogs that owners should try to buy a special kind. Is that true, and if so, what should I buy for my car?
From the Editors of The Dog Daily
Most antifreeze mixtures contain a chemical called ethylene glycol. It has a sweet taste that appeals to many pets, not to mention wildlife that might come across it, which is what makes it so dangerous. Just a little lick can prove fatal. Studies show that only one teaspoon of antifreeze can kill a 7-pound animal.
To prevent this from happening, keep your car well serviced and clean up any kind of auto fluid leaks. As for the antifreeze you should buy, look for products containing propylene glycol -- which is also found in some toy snow globes -- instead of ethylene glycol. Propylene glycol is far less toxic if ingested.