Expert Q&A

A friend had some leftover chocolate candy that he fed to his dog, Sandy, but it didn't seem to bother her. Isn't chocolate poisonous for dogs?

Your friend's dog was lucky, because chocolate can indeed be toxic for dogs. The short answer is that you should never feed chocolate to your dog, and here's why: It contains compounds known as methylxanthines that, in low doses, can lead to vomiting or diarrhea in dogs. Ironically, these same substances give cocoa-craving humans a little chocolate buzz that most of us enjoy. Dark and unsweetened chocolate contains more of these compounds by weight, so my guess is your friend's dog consumed another, milder type. Even so, all chocolate contains another substance, called theobromine, as well as caffeine, both of which don't agree with dogs. In fact, some canines can suffer muscle tremors, or in severe cases, seizures. Unless a person is allergic to chocolate, we don't experience these problems, so save the chocolate candy for just yourself and your human friends.

Repost This

Follow Us

    Copyright © 2016 PaliMedia Inc. All rights reserved